This is hands down the favourite food product we have created in the Duck Egg & Lime cookery school kitchen. Both kids and the ‘big kids’ absolutely love pizza swirls. They also make for great lunchbox snacks, after school snacks or when grown-ups have friends over for drinks and nibbles!
I even had a conservation with a friend of mine recently who is mad into her adventure racing and she said they would be great energy source while racing!
So this weekend, get the fire on, pick a movie and prepare some delicious flaky pizza swirls together. We know you’ll enjoy them as much as all the Duck Egg & Lime kids do!
You Will Need
- 1 Packet of pre-made Puff Pastry (you can buy GF puff pastry too!)
- 4-5 tbsp of Passata
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Cured Meat – Chorizo, Pepperoni, Parma ham or prosciutto ham
How to Prepare
- Preheat the oven to 200oC
- Open out your roll of Puff Pastry and divide it into 5 long strips using a sharp knife (ensure a grown-up is with you when using the knife)
- Spoon some Passata onto each strip and use the back of the spoon to spread the passata like you are buttering a slice of bread.
- Sprinkle some cheese along the strip (not too much!).
- Tear up your chosen cured meat into long strips and place on top of the cheese.
- Once complete, begin to roll the strip slowly from one end to the other. If the roll looks quite big, cut it in half using a sharp knife (once again, ensure a grown-up is with you when using the knife)
- Put a piece of baking parchment onto a baking sheet and place the pizza swirls onto the baking sheet (if you don’t have a baking sheet the paper the pastry was wrapped in will do).
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes, until golden, crispy and the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool before taking the first delicious bit! Enjoy x