Here’s a delicious and hearty meal that’s quite easy to prepare. It’s also a great way to sneak healthy veggies on to your pickier eater’s plate!
You Will Need
- 450/500g Irish Lamb Mince
- 500g Passata or 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 tin of drained kidney beans
- Bunch of spinach (optional)
- Half red/yellow pepper sliced (optional)
- 2-3 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 2 teaspoon Rapeseed oil
How to Prepare
- Take a large saucepan place on a medium heat and add your oil.
- Add your onions and fry for a minute, then add the garlic and allow to sweat for 3 – 4 minutes on a medium heat. Ensure to check it’s not burning, turn down the heat if it is.
- Add your mince and mix with the onions an garlic on a high heat.
- Next add your spices and herbs. Mix well with the mince and cook on the high heat until browned.
- Add your carrots (& peppers), passta/tin of tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow chilli to simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- After an hour, add your peas, carrots (& spinach). Mix well and allow to simmer for a further 20-30minutes.
- Serve with Basmati rice or baked potato.
- If find the chili is sticking to the bottom of the saucepan or a little thick, add water to the empty passata jar or tomato tin, give it a swirl and add about 15/20ml to the chili
- Any leftovers can be placed in the freezer or have for lunch the next day in a toasted wrap with cheese.